Friday, December 18, 2020

My Sewing Machine and Me

With the onset of Covid-19 in March of this year I doubt any of us would have ever imagined how our world would change.  I know I anticipated we would all be back to normal by the time fall rolled around.  Obviously that has not happened.  

As a mother, wife, grandmother, quilter, stitcher, etc I have no shortage of things to keep me occupied.  Fortunately I do love technology almost as much as I love sewing and am often absolutely blown away by how lucky we are to be able to connect and create virtually.   Through FaceTime my granddaughter and I were able to establish a "Book Buddies" routine when we were all in lockdown.    She would read to me and then I would read to her.   Even though we are now able to connect in person she does not live close by so we continue to enjoy the virtual time together.   Technology is indeed amazing.

Very early in 2020 I had happily agreed to offer a trunk show to the Mahone Bay Quilt Guild.  Ordinarily this would consist of me filling up my "trunk" with my quilted items and presenting in person.  Clearly with restrictions in place this would not happen.   Many quilt guilds have simply not continued to meet but The Mahone Bay Quilt Guild took up the challenge of meeting virtually.   

So it was time for me to embrace another new adventure and present a Zoom "Trunk" Show.  My Sewing Machine and Me was created.   One of the wonderful options here for me was the ability to include some favourite pieces which are no longer in my possession.   It was just a matter of finding the photos.   I'm sure you all can relate to the frustration of trying to find pictures on cameras or computers.  If someone would like to give a workshop on that I'll be the first to sign up! 

The very capable co-ordinators Krista Garber and Mary Gray agreed on a trail run a few days before the event.  Gotta get the kinks out!  

Although I didn't have to load up my car and drive I do confess I missed the personal greetings we as quilters really enjoy.  The resulting show however worked like a charm with lots of positive feedback.  

I would certainly recommend investigating the options available to your groups and guilds to keep connected.  Nothing ventured nothing gained.

It is definitely "Sew Exciting".

2 comments:

  1. A trunk show would be fun to do with our Queens Quilters group this winter Bev!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would definitely be fun. We used Zoom for the above mentioned. I'm game to give it a go. Want to help?

    ReplyDelete

Its a Mystery

I've had lots of sewing adventures over the years.  As a lover of fabrics, I very much enjoy the quilting world and all it has to offer....